Pages

Thursday, September 11, 2008

9.11.01


7 years ago.
wow
I remember the exact place I was, what I was doing, and what I was eating.
at
Today my classroom remembered those who lost their lives in the September 11th, 01 attacks and also discussed heroes. What are heroes? What does that even mean and it turned into a really intense and deep discussion. Some things my students shared are: Heroes are: ..brave, strong, nice, not selfish, risk their lives for other people, save people, help people. ONe of my students lost his father last year. After he raised his hand to continue the word "brave" for our bubble map, he quickly added "yeah just like how my dad was brave when he died".

My heart hurt for him as I thought of my grandmother who died of cancer this past February..she was so brave, she was a fighter. So while my goal was to focus on the heroes of September 11th (firefighters, police men and women, doctors, nurses, civilians, etc), my students took us a to the everyday heros in our lives. I truely was touched.

No comments: